The central core of Smederevo is the main city square with its surrounding buildings. It is triangular like the fortress, and is located on the site of the former market. The Temple of the Holy Great Martyr – the Victorious George is placed in the centre. The former building of the district headquarters from the end of the 19th century is very attractive and there is a famous fountain where people meet up and relax.
The Temple of St. George was built in the middle of the 19th century, in the image of Monastery Manasija and is the third largest temple in the country.
Under this mulberry tree, the leader of the First Serbian Uprising, Karadjordje Petrović, received the keys to the city from the defeated Turkish commander in 1805, making Smederevo the capital of Serbia for the second time in history.
This website was created with the financial support of the European Union. Its contents are the sole responsibility of this EU-funded project and do not necessarily reflect the views of the European Union.